In Ellsworth, religious liberals organized the Unitarian Society of Ellsworth in 1835. They ordained Rev. William Daniels Wiswall in 1837, but abandoned their efforts in 1839. The First Unitarian Society was re-established in 1865. On Feb. 9, 2014, our Church Historian, Dr. Wayne H. Smith, made a presentation about the transition from our earliest church, in the 1830s, to the reestablished church in 1865. Click the following link to read it: Transitions. Our first church building was located at the corner of Oak and Main Streets (now the site of S. K. Whiting Park). It was dedicated in 1867.
In 1963 Rev. Rhys Williams and Rev. Ralph Helverson, who both summered in the area, instigated the idea of a Summer Visiting Ministers’ Series.
In 1971 it was voted to sell the old church, and the present building was dedicated in 1973. In 1982 the Ethel Schwalbe Community Room was added, and in 1999 the Carl Stehmann Religious Education Wing was completed.
Infant/Toddler Care – 10:15-11:30am
Children’s Religious Education – 10:30am
Announcements – 10:25am
Worship Service – 10:30am
Coffee & Conversation – following the service