Healthy Acadia Announces “Tai Chi for Health” Fall Class Schedule
Healthy Acadia continues to offer free “Tai Chi for Health” classes in communities across Downeast Maine, with fall sessions set to begin in September. The ancient Chinese practice of tai chi is a martial art form that combines slow, deliberate movement sequences with breathing exercises. Regular tai practice has been proven to improve relaxation, flexibility, balance, concentration, and muscle strength, and can help to relieve pain and symptoms of chronic disease.
Over 1,500 people from across Hancock and Washington counties and beyond have participated in Healthy Acadia’s “Tai Chi for Health” classes since they began in 2014. These evidenced-based courses use a step-by-step teaching method, which makes tai chi easy to learn. “Tai Chi for Health” offers proven health benefits and can be enjoyed by people of all ages, at all levels of physical ability.
While classes are free, a $5 per-class donation is suggested. Course locations and times are as follows:
• Calais – Fridays, 5:00pm to 6:00pm, September 13 – November 1, 2019, Calais Peer Recovery Center 311 Main Street, Calais. Info/register: Christine Morris at 214-7856 or [email protected]
• Machias – Tuesdays, 2:00pm to 3:00pm, September 10 – October 29, 2019, Downeast Recovery Support Center, 11 Free Street. Info/register: Samantha Williams, 207-214-6516 or email [email protected]
• Machias – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:30am to 9:30am, September 17 – November 7, 2019, University of Maine at Machias’ Murdock Fitness Center (116 O’Brien Avenue). Info/register: Samantha Williams, 207-214-6516 or email [email protected]
• Brooksville–Thursdays, 9:00am to 10:00am (beginner level class); 10:00am to 11:00am (intermediate level class) September 5 – October 31, 2019 (no class September 19), Brooksville Public Library (1Townhouse Road). Info/register: Mia Kanazawa, 326-9065 or [email protected]
• Bucksport – Fridays, 10:00am – 11:00am, September 6 – October 25, 2019, Bucksport Regional Health Center 110 Broadway, Bucksport. Info/register: Nina Zeldin at 667-7171 or [email protected]
• Deer Isle – Seated Tai Chi, Wednesdays, 10:15am-10:45am; Deer Isle Nursing Home (587 N. Deer Isle Road). Standing Tai Chi, 11:00am-12:00pm, September 4 – October 30, 2019 (no class September 18), Saint Brendan the Navigator Church, 627 N. Deer Isle Road, Deer Isle. Info/register: Mia Kanazawa, 326-9065 or [email protected]
• Ellsworth – Thursdays,11:00am – 12:00pm, September 5 – October 24, 2019, Moore Community Center, 124 State Street, Ellsworth. Info/register: Nina Zeldin at 667-7171 or [email protected]
Classes are currently in progress in Steuben, on Wednesdays, from 10:00am to 11:00am, at Henry D. Moore Parish House and Library (22 Village Road), and in Milbridge, on Tuesdays, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm,at the Women’s Health Resource Library 24 School Street. Fall sessions will begin in October, dates TBA. For information, contact Shannon Schimpf, 460-7218 or http://[email protected]
Additional “Tai Chi for Health” classes may be scheduled according to demand. To inquire about tai chi classes in your community, contact Nina Zeldin at 667-7171 or [email protected] For more information about “Tai Chi for Health” or other programs offered by Healthy Acadia, please visit www.healthyacadia.org.
Healthy Acadia is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that engages in a broad range of initiatives to build healthier communities and make it easier for people to lead healthy lives across Washington and Hancock counties, Maine. Learn more at www.healthyacadia.org.